Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Historic Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery

After a long morning of catching fish in the Eastern Sierra we decided to head back to camp at Tuttle creek.  We had left early and traveled 60 miles north to Bishop where the fishing for the day began.  Big pine creek was a river, but we still manager to hook up with some nice fish.  Taboose and Goodale offered calmer water and a few 14 inchers.  Back on the road headed toward Independence we passed a sign that said,  "The Historic Mt. Whitney Fish Hatchery".  I've passed this place 100 times, but this time I decided to stop in and take a look around.  A castle at the base of the sierra with walls three feet thick made of Granite.  Almost 100 years old and looking great.  When it first opened Mules carried metal canteens full of Rainbow and Golden Trout up the mountain to the many creeks along the Eastern Sierra.  Take some time to check out the link. 




4 comments:

  1. Cool! I will check this out next time I'm up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bill

    My 17 year old son and I took your advise you gave us on April 29, 2011 8:23 PM and headed up to Upper Sage in the bishop area this past Friday and oh boy what a beautiful area. We parked at the end of the road and we hiked down on the north side of the river about a mile past Upper Sage area. We then worked ourselves up the river on the south side and boy what beautiful fishing spots. My son caught a pan size trout and I caught a 16” trout (we have the pics. lol). We released them so they could continue there content lives in such a beautiful place. Even though we only caught two we had a wonderful time. My son commented that it seemed that everything slowed down while stopping in those nice fishing spots on the river. My only reply was “I think that’s what it’s all about”.

    We really appreciate you’re advice and thanks a million. Keep up your nice blog.

    Luis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seen a Sasquatchy doing pirouettes up behind that place. I think he had the whirly tushy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My brother recommended I might like this web site.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for
    this information! Thanks!

    Here is my blog :: mount pleasant homestead

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a question or comment!