Pages

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Panguitch Lake Utah

Panguitch Lake is located about 30 miles north-east of Duck Creek Utah.  I knew the lake was know for it's good fishing, the name means "Big Fish" so I decided to give it a shot.  We rented a boat for the day, grabbed our gear and hit the water.  I had some spoons with me that I wanted to try out, so after clearing the no wake zone the lines went out.  We hooked up right away.
I had read about the "Bear Lake Cutthroat Trout" that could be found in this lake and outside of a few pictures that I pulled up on-line I had never seen this fish.  I couldn't find any information on how they fight or what they go after so I fished them like any other Cutthroat.
About 2 minutes into a slow troll the rod tips went down and we had fish on.  These fish fight well and take line at will.  Throughout the day in spite of 30 mph winds and white caps from time to time we caught and released fish after fish.  The spoons produced well as did rapalas following willow leaf lake trolls.

8 comments:

  1. Bill, every picture tells a story and your pictures certainly show some beautiful catches and a good time. Glad you did some on the water research with those Cutthroats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fish are built for speed. The initial strike is fast and hard, the type of hit that almost stops your heart! I had a great time hooking up with these fish. Thanks for the comment and the visit Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Built for speed is right...like a "Trout/Marlin" good stuff Bill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bill. Since I'm going to Big Bear next month, if you could shoot me the names of those two lures, I'll give them a try up there. I'm going to try the Rapala's I have too. I've talked my Brother into putting his boat in the lake while we're there.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Peter! That's a perfect description, we even got a couple to "Tail Walk". I'll be posting a video of one of the fights shortly that shows how serious these guys are about staying in the lake! Thank's for the comment.
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mark, the spoons can be found a Bass Pro Shops, they are made in the U.S.A.,(that's kind of important to me), and they are called "Thomas Spinning Lures Buoyant Spoons". With a slow troll these lures put out some serious movement. The next time I use these spoon I'm going to try dragging them behind some cabelas lead core line so I can get a little more depth. I'm going to call out some of those big boys that hang out down below!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice catch! I use TB's myself from time to time. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Matt, I've made a special place in my tackle box just for these spoons! Thanks for stopping by to check out my post and leaving a comment!
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a question or comment!