Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Duck Creek Campsite

Fishing new water is always a treat and seeing some beautiful scenery makes it even better.  One thing I look forward to on any fishing trip is the chance to set up camp at a new campground.  I like to look around until I find a spot that feels right.  It's a place to settle down for the night alright, but if I'm going to "live" there for a day or two I'm going to have to eat.  That's where some of my gear comes into play.
I think I can rough it just as well as the next guy, although you won't find me living on pine nuts and berrys, or gnawing the bark off a tree stump.  I like to eat good at camp.  Coffee on the fire, eggs and bacon in the morning, beef stew or a pot roast for dinner.  After a long day of fishing the least a man deserves is a good old fashioned campfire dinner.  You can burn up a bunch of energy fishing all day and I think everything tastes better cooked outdoors.  That's why I like to take along my cast irons.  They can stand up to the heat of the fire and they last forever.  A good coffee pot, dutch oven and a box full of spices and I'm set.
This campsite at Duck Creek was set up pretty good, even had a nice spot for a walk around the woods after dinner.

6 comments:

  1. No Euell Gibbons in your camp. Good looking breakfast. Hold me a spot, I'll be there in ....2 days. Just kidding. Thanks for the info on the spoons.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I haven't heard that name for years. I remember he used to eat all kinds of weird stuff. If he camped with me I'd cook up some ribeye steaks and see if he still wants to have his sticks and twigs! Thanks for the comment Mark!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice set up, Bill. Meal looks great. Makes me want to drag my stuff out and get going my self. By the way, I have posted a few times on my blog about using Thomas spoons also. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mel, I'll check out those Thomas Spoons posts on your blog straight away! They have a simple design and with a slow retrieve I can get a lot of action out of them. Thanks for the visit and the comment!
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bill - Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm now following yours and have added it to my blogroll.

    I'll tell you what, you do it up right when camping. I'm a city boy who really wasn't raised in the outdoors so I don't recall ever going camping except in my backyard. That said, if I did, I'd want to do it in style like you. No granola & beef jerky for this guy either.

    Food aside, how do you like your Coleman tent (& how many does it sleep)? I'd like to buy a tent at some point for 3 (me, my wife, & young daughter), but all of the choices are overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi troutrageous1 I'm glad you stopped in! When I take my wife to dinner she knows that it will involve a campfire and cast iron. I must admit that some of the great food we put together comes out of a cookbook or two. One of my favorites is "lovin Dutch Ovens" and there is everything from breakfast to apple pie inside. My irons are Wagner Ware. Unlike other cast iron Wagner takes the time to mill the cooking surface of their pans and ovens so they are truly non-stick. We got the Coleman tent about 5 years ago and we love it. It's a 13x11 Vista Del Mar (143 sq. ft.) and sleeps 7. The air mattress inside is a Queen size. It sets up in about 10 minutes and holds up to the weather great. There is a ton of room inside and the best part is I can stand up in it ( I'm 6'2"). I'd say it's a great tent for any family. We don't have kids anymore (oh darn!) because they all grew up and moved on, but 3 or 4 people would have more than enough room. Thanks again for the visit and the comment!
    Bill.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a question or comment!