Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

How to Catch Big Lake Trout

The best way I have found to catch big Lake Trout also happens to be the easiest. You might read articles about time and temperature, wind direction and speed. Some professional anglers may try to tell you that the planets must align in a particular sequence in order for the…Blah, Blah, Blah. The truth is, anyone can catch really big Lake Trout by just doing a few simple things.




Choose some good bait. Minnows or spoons are fine. Pick one around 2” long. If your bait is any bigger than this the only thing you’ll catch is a sunburn from falling asleep instead of catching fish.

Use 10lb Or 12lb test line. This type of fish likes to fight and they can turn in a heartbeat and bust your line if they want to.

Troll your bait at about 35 to 50 feet deep. You can just guess on this, but one good way to make sure is to use lead core line with a slow troll and about 70 feet of line in the water.

Move around as much as you can. Don’t troll the same area over and over. If you don’t hook up in the first pass move on to a new spot where the fish might be biting.

When you do hook up take it slow and easy. Many big Lake Trout are lost because the angler gets in a hurry. If you’re hooked up good. You will not lose your fish so slow down and reel him in.



There it is, the secret is out. I’ve caught big fish in all types of weather and all kinds of conditions. I remember a story about a boy fishing with a cane pole. The boy decided to call it a day and was walking along the river with a stringer of big fish slung across his back. He came upon a Fly Fisherman who had 4,000 dollars worth of equipment on. The Fly Fisherman hadn’t gotten a bite all day, and asked the boy, “What’s your secret?” The boy smiled and said, “Ya gotta make sure yer hold’ in yer nose right!” Sometimes the radar and G.P.S. are handy to locate and catch fish, but sometimes you just have to watch how you hold your nose!

6 comments:

  1. Excellent article. I absolutely love this site. Continue the
    good work!
    my webpage > return

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it when people get together and share ideas. Great site, stick with it!
    Also see my web site > or

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that big dead laker didn't come out of Jackson Lake. Let the big boys go and keep the 18" cookie cutters if you must.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to
    give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading through your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics?

    Thanks a ton!

    Look into my web blog :: free music downloads; twitter.com,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found
    a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter
    and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.

    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic
    but I had to tell someone!

    Also visit my web page ... ArleenOGrullon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, this was an incredibly good post. Finding the time and actual effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a whole lot and never seem to get nearly anything
    done.

    Feel free to visit my website ... ChristiaQEsbenshade

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a question or comment!