Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Sunrise in the Eastern Sierra


The early sunrise is quite a sight in the high desert. The sun begins to rise throwing its light against the face of the mountains. You can see the changes minute by minute as shadows lengthen, stretch, and then disappear. Morning in a place like this always stops me where I’m standing and causes me to notice things I wouldn’t have seen before. A cup of hot coffee, a campfire crackling it all reminds me of something, but I’m not sure what. The only thing I really know for sure is that it feels right, like I’m home. I suppose some people might feel this same way on a crowded street or in a large city with a whole bunch of people around them. I’ve met a few people like that, and I would stare at their eyes and think, “how can that make anyone happy”? Makes me wonder if they think the same thing about me. I’m not sure how it all works. I don’t see how anyone could trade the sunrise on the mountains for the sunrise on a building. Everyone has their own reasons in life for what they do. My Grandpa used to say, “You can tell a lot about a person when you’re watching them, but you can tell a whole lot more about them when you’re not”. I’ll take the quiet sunrise in a wide open place, the sound of a creek running somewhere in the background, the birds chirping and flying from tree to tree. Everything happening just like it’s supposed to, without any help from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a question or comment!